Thursday, February 28, 2008

Back to work full time

This week I have been working full time. I am tired but have felt pretty good. That is until today when the whole world pissed me off.

The day started off just fine, worked on the school website and received a phone call that was a very nice surprise, among other little things.

Then I received a phone call from my dr's office about the prior authorization for my Prevacid. I switched insurance plans more than a month ago, and called the insurance company to have them fax the prior authorization form to my dr. They won't pay for the Prevacid unless I have tried something else. I have taken Prevacid for at least 8 years and couldn't tell you if I have tried anything else or not. And I have switched drs, so there is not a record of what I might have tried. I told the nurse all this and then said, if you want me to tell you tried something else, I will. She said, ok, tell me what you might have taken. I made something up and she sent it to the insurance company.

I decided to check with the insurance company this afternoon and that is when my day went downhill fast. The insurance company said they denied the request because the protocol would have been to take the other medicine 2 times a day and the nurse only wrote daily. Now mind you, I have never taken this medicine at all, once a day or twice, it was just what the nurse told the insurance.

So I call the nurse and tell her the insurance denied and could she please send it again saying I took it twice a day. She said I can't say you took it twice a day if you didn't.!!!! Hello, I told you i never took it, you essentially asked me to lie to you this morning so now I am asking you to lie again. She just didn't get it.

SO then she says, we don't have anything in your chart about what you took before. I said that is because I switched to your office in the summer of 2006. They never got my records. I would think that when new patient came in, someone would keep track if they receive the records they request, but noooo they don't.

To top all this off...I have given them a month's lead time to get this done. I have called every week, at least once a week and asked if they had received the prior authorization and told them i would need a refill on this coming Saturday. Each time I was told they were working on it. Well apparently, they started working on it today, 2 days before I run out of medicine, and now they can't get it approved until they get the records from my former dr, which are in storage because they are so old. WTF?? I wish I could be as incompetent as some of these people and still get paid. If I just decided to not follow through on my job, I wouldn't have a job!

So let's think about this for a minute...I take Prevacid for GERD. If I miss one day's dose, I have horrible heartburn. Now I won't have any after Saturday and don't know how long it will take to get it approved. The dr does not have any samples to hold me over. So let's have some heartburn, irritate my espohagus and have some bleeding because I am on Coumadin.

And just to make my day even better, I had an appointment after school about an hour away from school. I was halfway there when I get a voicemail on my phone because I was still on the phone with the dr's office. It is the woman at my appointment saying she had me down for 2:30, I didn't show and she was going home. My appointment was for 4:15!! The 2:30 appointment was 2 weeks ago when I was not working full time. I specifically made the appt for 4:15 so I wouldn't have to leave school early.

Life sucks!

0 comments: